Best Crypto Exchanges in the UK
Cryptocurrency exchanges are everywhere, but is there a winning strategy for finding the best crypto exchange? UK traders are aware of the various scam exchange issues, and with the excitement of cryptocurrencies hitting the mainstream, it is understandable that so many people want to leverage the most reliable platforms. The right crypto exchange makes it easy to trade and offers ample user support, but not every choice will fit an individual’s preferences or resource availability.
The team at Smart Billions agrees that choosing the ideal crypto exchange is an incredibly important endeavour. Might a lesser-known crypto exchange risk a significant investment? Possibly, which is why Smart Billions collects the latest data from top exchanges to help traders make informed decisions.
The UK has a number of trustworthy and convenient crypto exchange options that allow beginners and experienced investors to make the most out of their trading platform. Below, Smart Billions looks at these factors, including varying fees, extra security measures, and ease of access to multiple crypto assets. We also discuss how to select the best crypto exchange in the UK of the thirteen platforms on our current list.
Best Crypto Exchange in the UK 2022
- eToro – Overall Best Crypto Exchange UK for 2022
- Binance – Best Crypto Trading Platform In UK with Low Commissions
- CoinJar – Best Security Features
- CEX.io – Best for Fast Order Execution
- Gemini – Best Cryptocurrency Exchange to Buy Bitcoin and Ether
- ChangeNOW – Best Advanced Trading
- CoinBurp – Best for Beginners
- CoinCorner or Coinfloor – Best for Advanced Bitcoin Traders
- Coinbase – Best Crypto Educational Resources
- Kraken – Best for US-UK Transition
- Changelly – Best for Anonymity
- Bittrex – Best for International Cybersecurity
- Bitstamp – Best for Simple Trades
We evaluated the best crypto exchanges in the UK based on several factors, including ease of use, competitive fees, and security. We looked at existing user reviews, security track records, customer support, and each Canadian platform that offers CFDs and other trading features. It was paramount for us to know that our readers, especially beginners, would transact with these platforms safely.
The 13 Best Crypto Exchanges in the UK
So, which platforms feature on the Smart Billions list? Keep reading for thirteen top crypto exchanges to consider if you are based in the United Kingdom.
1. eToro – Overall Best Crypto Exchange UK for 2022
eToro is our overall best cryptocurrency exchange in the UK. You can buy and sell digital assets and trade Bitcoin safely because the exchange is regulated and authorized by Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Aside from that, eToro also holds regulatory licenses in other jurisdictions, which include Australia and the USA. It’s also beginner-friendly as you can open a verified account with its in just less than five minutes. The KYC process is very easy to get done.
What we like about eToro include:
- Offers a wide range of payment methods
- Supports copy trading
- No account or minimum deposit funds fees
- Low transaction fees
- Fully regulated
eToro is also one of the best cryptocurrency exchanges in the UK when it comes to passive investment tools. The crypto brokerage also boasts its Copy Trading tool so you can actively trade cryptocurrencies by copying expert traders. eToro is also the best BItcoin trading platform in the UK for us.
If you’re also planning to invest in other financial products aside from cryptos, then eToro is also a perfect choice as it enables you to buy ETFs and thousands of UK and international stocks at 0% commission. eToro’s platform is also user-friendly, which make it suitable for beginners.
Want to learn more about eToro? Here’s an in-depth eToro Exchange Review.
EUR, GBP & USD
2. Binance – Best Crypto Trading Platform In UK with Low Commissions
The Binance platform is proof that buying and selling crypto assets does not need to be complicated with the right support. Binance is currently the best crypto exchange UK traders can access, including its claim to fame as having some of the lowest fees on the market.
Crypto traders will appreciate Binance for:
- Competitive rates
- Third-party authentication
- Over 600 cryptocurrencies to choose from
- Know Your Customer checks
- Unparalleled liquid order books
- Fiat currency support, including Euros and Pounds Sterling
- Myriad trading tools and customisable views
- The lowest deposit and withdrawal fees of any UK crypto exchange
Binance is also one of the safest and most reliable crypto exchanges, securing crypto with AI monitoring capabilities and SAFY (the Secure Asset Fund for Users) to cover breaches and lost finances. The advanced security does not fetch a premium, with the highest trading fees on the platform at around 0.2%. Traders can decrease these fees to around 0.04% using Binance’s proprietary crypto token.
Although Binance is relatively easy for beginner traders to use, it still requires a solid understanding of trades and terminology to successfully make orders. Regular crypto exchange users will have no problem navigating the channel, and trading veterans will appreciate the reliability of the established platform.
Binance also offers programs for crypto miners and to help crypto traders make investment decisions. It is also worth mentioning that Binance has its own blockchain-based token called Binance Coin (BNB).
Overall, Binance is the top choice of Smart Billions, thanks to its sterling reputation, ease of use, secure platform, and low trading fees across several cryptocurrencies. As a global exchange, it presents UK traders with a platform that is simple to navigate and regularly adds cryptocurrencies to keep things interesting.
Here’s a comprehensive Binance Review if you want to learn more about the exchange.
Over 42 currencies
3. CoinJar – Best Security Features
As an exchange registered with the Federal Conduct Authority, CoinJar makes it easy to trade cryptocurrency at home or on the go without compromising security. Traders can access a secure crypto wallet, pay with a debit card, or stick with the CoinJar UK digital exchange platform. In fact, safety is a top concern that CoinJar covers extensively.
The digital storage is secure, encrypted, and offline. That means only the trader is able to access their funds and that the channel is about as secure as it gets. If there is a breach, CoinJar’s setup will protect at least 90% of the assets you have on the platform.
Other benefits of this versatile platform include:
- Easy funding with Mastercard or Visa card compatibility
- Access to CoinJar from any location with the convenient mobile app or advanced trading desk
- Low fees
- Several supported cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin
You won’t save as much with CoinJar as with Binance, but the fees are still low when making larger purchases. CoinJar’s fees are very reasonable, with a flat trading fee structure and no fees to deposit or withdraw GBP with a bank account. They also make it possible to purchase crypto through credit or debit cards at a reasonable rate.
Overall, CoinJar is a great option for crypto enthusiasts in the UK. It offers multi-signature technology, a mobile app, cost savings, and plenty of different cryptos to trade. The Smart Billions team is certain that both beginners and advanced users will find this platform easy to use, which is why its extra security features were enough to push it into second place on our Best Crypto Exchange UK list.
Interested in learning more about CoinJar? Here’s our detailed CoinJar Review.
4. CEX.io – Best for Fast Order Execution
In third place, CEX.io is a noteworthy London exchange platform that has been around since 2013. It is ideal for local traders who are looking for wallet security and quick payments, whether purchasing through traditional methods or by card. CEX.io also supports top currencies like BTC, ETH, USDT (Tether), and XRP (Ripple).
As a trustworthy exchange that has established its presence in the niche, the CEX.io platform has several benefits for traders, including:
- Multiple payment methods
- Excellent security
- No data breaches or account hacks since its founding
- Fully encrypted data
- Compliance with PCI DSS standards
- Various payment methods, including PayPal, Skrill, and credit cards
- Near-immediate purchases
- High financial transparency
On the downside, the fees for CEX.io’s exchange are significantly higher than its competitors, including a substantial service fee and regular trading fees on both sides of the transaction. However, fast order execution cements CEX.io as a leader in crypto exchanges, especially for those who want secure investments and 24/7 support. The CEX.io mobile app is also available on both iOS and Android for more convenient trading.
Overall, CEX.io makes it easy for advanced traders and beginners to monitor cryptos, take advantage of automated trading solutions, and request direct cash payments to their preferred cards. For Smart Billions, CEX.io has perks well worth exploring.
If this short review is not enough, here’s our in-depth CEX.io Review.
USD, EUR, GBP, and RUB
5. Gemini – Best Cryptocurrency Exchange to Buy Bitcoin and Ether
Gemini was established by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss. It is one of the best cryptocurrency trading platforms right now. Gemini is very easy to use and perfect for both newbies and seasoned crypto traders alike. Gemini makes it straightforward to build a portfolio of crypto assets, buy Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other digital assets like stablecoins, and makes it straightforward to research the crypto market.
What we like:
- Crypto-to-crypto trading available for specific crypto assets
- Over-the-counter (OTC) peer-to-peer crypto trading.
- Gemini Earn offers up to 7.4% APY on users crypto holdings
- Gemini Pay app allows purchases at 30,000+ retailers using cryptocurrencies
- Has insurance for crypto assets to cover possible hacks
- Low minimum order amounts.
Gemini allows you to set dynamic price alerts, set recurring trades, manage your holdings, and trade crypto assets. You can also monitor your trades and track the crypto market movements with their Android and iOS mobile apps or their web app. UK customers can access the exchange’s cryptocurrency wallet called Gemini Wallet, which enables you to hold all your assets in an insured institutional-grade cold storage system or hot cryptocurrency wallet.
Want to learn more about Gemini? Here’s a detailed Gemini Exchange Review.
USD, AUD, CAD, GBP, and EUR
Dependent on 30-day trading volume
6. ChangeNOW – Best Advanced Trading
Investors looking for a similar platform to Binance with more advanced tools should consider ChangeNOW. While beginners should prepare for a slight learning curve, advanced traders will find ChangeNOW an excellent alternative to altcoin platforms. As a DeFi-based exchange, UK traders will enjoy decentralised access to cross-chain swaps, lower network fees, and a streamlined purchasing process.
ChangeNOW features offer plenty of benefits worth considering, including:
- Relatively low fees
- Every cryptocurrency, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and 50,000 other supported currencies
- An average exchange time of five minutes
- A success rate of 98% on those fast exchanges
- A non-custodial platform for ultimate security and privacy
ChangeNOW’s initial purpose was to provide instant crypto exchanges at reasonable rates, but it now offers fiat currency with Visa or Mastercard. The limitless exchange capabilities allow users to swap as much crypto as they want to, while fiat purchases rely on the Simplex payment program. UK-based traders who want advanced access at reasonable fees will love the ChangeNOW exchange.
Overall, ChangeNOW offers a similar experience to Binance with high-level security, trading tools for advanced users, and many altcoins (like Cardano) and trading pairs. Smart Billions recommends the platform for its DeFi liquidity, too. Notably, the 98% triumph rate across five-minute exchange durations means that traders will always be able to make successful exchanges without worrying about privacy breaches.
Want to learn more about eToro? Here’s an in-depth ChangeNOW Exchange Review.
GBP, EUR, USD, and a whole lot more!
0.5% to 4%
7. CoinBurp – Best for Beginners
The next choice on the Smart Billions Best Crypto Exchange UK list is CoinBurp, a similar platform to CEX.io. It offers compelling features, including encrypted data storage and dual-authenticated trades. All that is required is a UK-based address for access to one of the top crypto exchanges in the UK in just a few minutes.
The benefits of CoinBurp’s trading exchange include:
- Straightforward processes to purchase and sell crypto
- Ease of use
- Fast verification process
- High security levels
- Compliance with UK trading guidelines for safe exchanges
- Buy with cryptocurrency, NFTs, Euros, or Pounds
- Instantly sell Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Stellar, and other top cryptos
- Cost savings with low deposit and withdrawal fees
With CoinBurp, traders can deposit fiat currencies from a bank with an instant transfer; unfortunately, other payment options are unavailable. Fees vary based on the amount bought or sold, but they are still competitive compared to other options on this Smart Billions list.
Overall, traders who enjoy the more popular cryptocurrencies will find CoinBurp ideal for purchasing, trading, and withdrawals. Beginners who don’t plan to try their hand at advanced trading will find amazing value in what this UK crypto exchange has to offer, especially after completing our FREE 10-Day Email Crash Course in cryptocurrency.
0% trading fee
8. CoinCorner or Coinfloor – Best for Advanced Bitcoin Traders
Coinfloor was one of the UK’s first crypto exchanges, later migrating to CoinCorner with many of the same benefits for those who still support this exchange. Coinfloor offered fantastic trading fees, functionality, security, and additional services in its prime, and CoinCorner has followed the trend. It tailors its offering toward experienced traders after the merger, and it only supports Bitcoin.
The benefits of trying out the new CoinCorner platform include:
- Instant funding through bank transfer, debit or credit card, or SEPA
- Auto Buy (automatic Bitcoin purchases for convenience across low-risk, high-liquidity trading)
- Many ways to use Bitcoin between the mobile app, browser extension, and POS tool
- Deposit or withdrawal fees based on trading volume
- A flat fee for payment processing (if businesses incorporate CoinCorner into a checkout system)
- Offline cryptocurrency storage for safe assets
- Mobile app
Safety is paramount with CoinCorner, with its multi-signature authentication and status as an Isle of Man Financial Services Authority ensuring trusted service.
Overall, CoinCorner is an excellent choice for those looking for a Bitcoin exchange platform with advanced tools. Smart Billions recommends it for experienced traders, especially since the platform facilitates Bitcoin across many applications and offers easy customisation for large orders.
GBP and EUR
Up to 1%
BTC, ETH, LTC, XRP
9. Coinbase – Best Crypto Educational Resources
Smart Billions’ recommendations for the Best Crypto Exchange UK List would not be complete without Coinbase, one of the most trusted, FCA-regulated, and well-known cryptocurrency exchanges out there. Coinbase is a global leader in digital currency, extremely popular for its advanced security features and ease of use. Its cryptocurrencies include Bitcoin, EOS, Litecoin, Dai, and Stellar Lumens.
Coinbase’s global platform comes with multiple benefits for traders, including:
- An easy-to-use platform for beginners
- Simple layout and incredible educational benefits with Coinbase Earn
- Buy cryptocurrency with USD, GBP, and more
- Advanced trading exchange and secure, insurance-backed investments with Coinbase Pro
- A mobile app for iOS and Android for convenient monitoring
- Free transfers and Faster Payments options
Coinbase only allows you to purchase BTC, ETH, LTC, and BCH. However, from there, it is possible to swap between over 20 tradable assets and transfer them to an external wallet. Trade fees for standard UK orders depend on trade volume while purchasing crypto via card fetches a higher charge.
Overall, Coinbase is a worthwhile option for UK traders interested in Bitcoin and other popular cryptos. Smart Billions is confident that beginners and experts will find the necessary trading tools and resources they need on Coinbase. It offers a great start for those dipping their toes into learning about cryptocurrency and how to trade it successfully.
Here’s a comprehensive Coinbase Exchange Review if you want to learn more about the exchange.
CAD, USD, GBP, EUR
10. Kraken – Best for US-UK Transition
Kraken is a US crypto exchange but reputable among UK traders for its comprehensive service. It offers an immaculate security history, low fees, myriad cryptocurrencies, and phenomenal customer service for obscure altcoins and the most popular cryptos alike.
The benefits for Kraken-based traders include:
- Versatility between payment methods and available cryptocurrencies
- Payment with Etana Custody, BACS, Faster Payments, or crypto swaps
- Top-notch security; two-factor verification, Master Key activation, and Global Settings Lock
- Cold wallets for the security of all funds
- Legal compliance across its global markets
- Ease of use, including a mobile app to buy Bitcoin, sell, and trade cryptocurrencies
- Effortless deposits, withdrawal, and monitoring of crypto portfolios
The reason that Kraken is in the second half of our list is its slower deposit wait times (up to five days). If you are an avid crypto trader in the United Kingdom who can’t wait that long, Kraken might not be ideal.
Overall, Kraken offers great value to US and UK-based traders alike, and its fees are consistent with other exchanges. Beware that additional fees may increase the cost commitment, depending on your trading volume. Smart Billions is still happy to have it as eighth on our recommendation list because beginners and advanced traders will be able to enjoy Kraken’s security features and reputation.
Interested in learning more about Kraken? Here’s our detailed Kraken Exchange Review.
CAD, USD, GBP & EUR
0.9% to 1.5% fee
11. Changelly – Best for Anonymity
Is Changelly a surprising addition to the Smart Billions Best Crypto Exchange UK recommendations? Perhaps, due to its location in the Czech Republic. However, this European exchange is fully available for UK traders and is slowly becoming famous for its low fees and over 90 available cryptocurrencies.
Other benefits of the Changelly exchange model include:
- No geographical restrictions for Changelly users
- The option to deposit GBP and convert it to USD or EUR
- Non-custodial, decentralised operation (which also means traders need a separate wallet and can’t store crypto on the Changelly platform)
- Countless trading tools, including Instant Swap, Changelly Earn, Changelly PRO, and Changelly Sell
- One of the lowest fees for crypto to fiat exchanges
Changelly’s trading fees are fair, but UK residents may lose additional funds with currency conversions. However, the platform makes up for it with other benefits, like only slightly higher fees on crypto purchases with credit cards.
Overall, Changelly offers a fast and easy way to convert different cryptocurrencies or buy them with fiat money. Its toolkit makes it easy to create multiple trades, earn extra revenue, and sell crypto while keeping user identities and money safe in their own crypto wallets. Smart Billions is more than happy to give it a place on the list, especially with its excellent customer service reviews.
USD, EUR, GBP
12. Bittrex – Best for International Cybersecurity
As a US-based exchange, Bittrex keeps cybersecurity in sharp focus. Its founders hail from some of the largest US tech companies, and Bittrex traders are sure to notice those proclivities in motion as they buy crypto and sell them, monitor market trends, and use proprietary tools.
As a large international exchange, Bittrex offers beginners and experts several benefits:
- Versatility in over 190 markets, including Bitcoin, Waves, and Ethereum
- Funding for GBP and other fiat currencies (debit cards, bank or wire transfers, or SEPA Maker)
- Reasonable taker fees
- Two-factor authentication for secure transferring
- Cold storage for most assets
- Insurance on a portion of customers’ funds
- Technology that keeps identities safe and protects access to your wallet
- A mobile app for iOS and Android
- Secure monitoring and trading on the go
Bittrex traders will find simple, streamlined ways to add funds and buy or sell their favourite cryptocurrencies. Everyone needs to complete a Know Your Customer verification before being eligible to transfer fiat currency, though.
Bittrex is perfect for both beginners and experienced traders alike. Newbies can simply buy, sell, or trade crypto assets, while advanced traders can use the platform’s chartings tools, observe market movements, engage in margin trading, execute stop-loss and limit orders, and more.
Overall, Bittrex is a reasonable choice of a cryptocurrency exchange for growing investment opportunities in the United Kingdom. One major drawcard for beginners is that Bittrex presents an easy way to start trading and investing with intuitive tools that can help anyone tailor the experience as they learn what works and what does not. Smart Billions is also quite impressed by the reputation and affordability of this global exchange, which is why Bittrex made our Top Thirteen.
If this short review is not enough, here’s our in-depth Bittrex Exchange Review.
0.35% standard fee
13. Bitstamp – Best for Simple Trades
So, the final candidate for the Smart Billions Best Crypto Exchange UK list had to be Bitstamp, a Luxembourg-based exchange offering a variety of crypto services to UK traders. Why? Its simplicity.
On Bitstamp, even beginner cryptocurrency traders can enjoy benefits such as:
- A simple design focused on five of the most popular cryptocurrencies
- Easy purchases, trades, and selling across Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash
- No verification (unless you plan to fund your account via bank or card)
- Consistent performance
- Successful order execution on most trades
- Access to the mobile app and an advanced desktop trading system (both easy to navigate)
Bitstamp does have some disadvantages compared to other exchanges. For example, it does not support GBP, and United Kingdom-based traders may lose a portion of their funds converting to USD or EUR. Fees also increase with trading volume.
The final word is on Bitstamp’s potential security concerns, including a past security breach that resulted in a 19,000 BTC loss. However, the platform’s dedication has increased tenfold since that event. Multi-Signature technology keeps cold storage protected offline, but Bitstamp cannot protect assets on its traders’ computers.
Overall, Smart Billions is happy to give Bitstamp the final position on the list of the UK’s best crypto exchanges. It is a reliable trading exchange with high liquidity, adequate insurance, and around-the-clock customer support. The intuitive interface is great for simple trades and a stress-free experience.
These thirteen platforms complete the Smart Billions list of the Best Crypto Exchange UK traders can leverage this year. Why not use the information to select a platform for yourself and explore the exciting world of cryptocurrency? Read on for a few tips on where to start.
Want to learn more about Bitstamp? Here’s a detailed Bitstamp Exchange Review.
USD, EUR and GBP
How to Choose The Best UK Cryptocurrency Exchange Platform
Sifting through the hundreds of crypto exchange platforms isn’t easy, but experts like Smart Billions provide helpful information that could streamline the decision-making process. For example, did you know that Binance offers a well-rounded exchange with the lowest fees, while options like CoinCorner and Bittrex prioritise asset security? Our experts are also happy to point out who has the cheapest fees (Binance or Kraken) and answer any other questions you may have about crypto’s latest developments.
Platforms that make it easy for beginners to start investing are especially popular in the UK. CoinBurp and CEX.io are excellent options, while Binance makes the transition into altcoins far simpler. We have not mentioned altcoins above, but these offer an exciting sideline for high volatility, though they need high liquidity to resist market crashes.
Whether you are interested in popular cryptocurrency exchanges, security, or up-and-coming altcoin options, Smart Billions typically recommends trying a few exchanges until traders find one that fits their style. If you are new to cryptocurrencies, look for options that allow you to trade all crypto to curate an effortless, less stressful experience.
The Best Crypto Exchange UK list is only the beginning—contact Smart Billions at 619-407-8546, check out our FAQs section, or connect with us online for additional insights into cryptocurrency.